Posted by request. This version is adapted from a recipe by Anne Rosenzweig. This can be made a day or two ahead and reheated. I made this recently for the first time and really enjoyed it. Someone suggested sprinkling each serving with some brown sugar, which I think would be a nice idea too.
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced (approx 1 cup)
- 5 large carrots, peeled,chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 2 cups chicken broth, more as needed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled,chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup whole pittted prune
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground,to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion to the pan and saute, lowering heat as needed, until onion is very soft- about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots,ginger ale,and chicken broth,then raise the heat a bit so that the liquid is simmering (around medium), and cook until carrots begin to soften about 7-10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except salt & pepper, and continue cooking until veggies are very tender, another 15 or so (I dropped a lid on the pan, slightly ajar to help this cook a bit faster).
- You may need to add a little extra chicken broth for moisture if it starts to get dry- you don't want this to dry out.
- Season well with salt and pepper, removing cinnamon stick before serving.