Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting for ZWT 6 and it was found on About.com for German Food. It sounds delicious!! Article states: Bratkartoffeln are a German food that people often want to recreate at home. There are two main tricks to making great pan-fried potatoes. Start them in a single layer in the pan with plenty of fat and do not put a cover on the pan. These potatoes with take 20 - 30 minutes to cook a crispy, golden brown but the wait is worth it.
- 1 lb potato, about 5 medium
- 2 -3 ounces bacon, chopped (2-3 strips)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Scrub whole potatoes of the same size and cook in salted water until easily pierced with a fork. Let cool and peel while still warm. Potatoes can be cooked several hours ahead.
- Chop bacon or "Bauchspeck" into small pieces and cook in a large frying pan (11 or 12 inches) until limp. Remove from pan but keep grease in pan. Add the butter and melt, but don't brown.
- Slice the cold potatoes into 1/4 inch slices (5 mm) and place a single layer in the hot fat. Place any extra potatoes on top of the first layer.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the onions and bacon and let them cook over medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes. Flip them when they become golden brown on the underside, but don't stir them.
- Sprinkle with marjoram, caraway, salt and pepper and cook for 5 - 10 more minutes. Add more butter if necessary, to facilitate browning.
- At home, these potatoes are traditionally served with fried eggs, pickles and green salad.
- Note: I use a non-stick pan, but the potatoes still need a lot of butter and grease to brown properly. This is an occasional treat for most people due to the high fat content, but they sure are good.
Potatoes and bacon - could there be a more heavenly pair? I think not. This is absolutely delicious!!! I decided to be a purist and left out the optional marjoram and caraway seeds (although I'm sur I'd love it). The potatoes are perfectly crispy and tasty. I added the bacon and onions after I flipped the potatoes and it worked out well. Thank you! Made for the 123 Tag game in the Cooking Tag Games forums.
These were so good! The outsides got really crispy and since you boil the potatoes first the insides were nice and fluffy! I loved the addition of the bacon as well. Will make again! Made for 123Hits.
Very good! However, next time I will just do a single layer at a time. I had some potatoes sitting on top of the first layer and they didn't brown as well, even after I flipped them. Also, the onions cooked a bit too fast for me. Simple adjustments. Made for Photo Tag. :)