2 hrs 20 mins
HUHNEREINTOPF MIT KUMMELKLOSSEN. Eintopfgericht, means meal made in one pot. Many of these German stews are prepared days in advance and they are excellent reheated. The final stew will be tender, with the chicken falling off the bone, and if you make it with caraway dumplings, you'll have a substantial meal that can feed a group of people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, cut into serving pieces,plus gizzards,if any
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 celeriac, peeled and cubed (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 parsley roots, peeled and cubed (about 3 1/2 pounds total)
- 4 carrots, sliced (about 1 pound)
- 10 small white onions, peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 quarts boiling water
- 2 cups shelled peas, fresh or frozen
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1In a large casserole or stew pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- 2Once it has stopped sizzling, brown the chicken, gizzards (if they are included), and chopped onion until golden, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle the flour over the chicken pieces and turn them to absorb the flour.
- 4Add the celeriac, parsley roots, carrots, whole white onions, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- 5Cover with the boiling water, and bring to just below a boil.
- 6Reduce the heat to very low, using a diffuser if necessary, and simmer until the meat is nearly falling off the bone and the vegetables are tender, about 2 hours.
- 7At no time should the broth ever boil, otherwise the chicken will be tough.
- 8Add the peas and cook for 10 more minutes.
- 9Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice.
- 10While the stew is simmering, prepare the dumplings.
- 11Drop the dough by the tablespoon on top of the stewing chicken, making sure the balls don't sink into the gravy.
- 12Cover and cook for 20 minutes without looking.
- 13Serve immediately.
- 14Makes 6 servings.
- 15TO MAKE THE DUMPLINGS: Stir together the eggs, flour, vegetable oil, salt and caraway seeds.
- 16NOTE: Celeriac and Parsley Root are wonderful vegetables for a stew.
- 17Both, though, are big, bulbous, root-like vegetables with lots of ugly, hairy-looking rootlets coming off the central portion.
- 18The best celeriac is that of medium size, without secondary corms, and with a modest clump of leaves.
- 19Peel celeriac before using.
- 20Parsley root is grown specifically for large roots.
- 21The texture and density of the root are similar to those of celeriac.
- 22They store well.
- 23Peel parsley root before using.
- 24Clifford A.
- 25Wright Real Stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chicken Stew With Caraway Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.6
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 191.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: