Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 78.07 ml walnuts, toasted
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 946.36 ml apples, peeled and diced
- cream cheese frosting
- 85.04 g fat free cream cheese, softened
- 14.79 ml light butter
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and set aside.
- Watch them carefully, as they burn easily.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, egg, egg white, canola oil and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the apples and toasted walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- (It will seem like there are more apples than batter, but that's the way it's supposed to look.) Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a rack.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting.
- Combine the cream cheese, light butter and powdered sugar in a bowl and blend until smooth.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the frosting evenly over the top.