Recipe by Sherrie-pie
From an unnamed recipe card.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
I planned to make this (at my parents’ place) and arrived with the mushrooms but WITHOUT a copy of the recipe! What a great way to start 2006! I pretty much remembered the recipe, but a few finer details got lost! S-o-r-r-y! I sautéed the mushrooms, onion and 4 cloves of garlic in olive oil, used about a cup and a half of Lambrusca, 3 tablespoons of Evelyn's Fried Red Tomatoes Recipe #121041 (which is always available from the freezer) and because memory quite failed me as to what herbs I was supposed to be adding, I used a generous sprinkling of thyme, parsley, marjoram and sage. I continued cooking the mushrooms until all the liquid had been considerably reduced. They were absolutely delicious. We ate them piled onto paula giles’ Spinach Meatloaf Recipe #12677. I look forward to making these again – next time, following the recipe more closely!
- 50 g butter
- 900 g button mushrooms, wiped and quartered
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 150 ml white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 300 ml tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a pan. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic and rosemary and cook for 3 minutes, stirring until coated in butter.
- Add the bay leaves, wine and tomato puree to the pan. Stir until well blended.
- Pour in the passatta and add the thyme. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving. Garnish with parsley sprigs.