1/8 Photos of Garlic Artichokes
This is now the only way I will be making artichokes. I love the ease of preparation and the perfect texture of the finished artichoke..not too mushy and not too hard. I never before thought of cutting the artichoke in half to make it super easy to remove the choke, and it cooks in half the time as well. Try this recipe if you love artichokes, and you won't be disappointed. Be careful to keep enough liquid in the braising pan so the artichokes don't burn. This is a tip I'm sharing out of experience!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off the stems of the artichokes.
- 2With a sharp knife (I find a serated knife works well) cut off the top 1/3 of the artichoke.
- 3Immediately rub the cuts with a lemon quarter, squeezing a little juice on the cuts to keep it from turning brown.
- 4Now cut each artichoke in half through the stem, from the top to the bottom.
- 5Use a spoon and/or a knife to completely remove the hairy choke and all the prickly purple leaves inside the artichoke.
- 6Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan.
- 7Add the garlic and saute over medium low heat to flavor the butter.
- 8Arrange the artichoke halves cut side down in the pan.
- 9Saute for about 5 minutes or so, until just lightly browned.
- 10Add the wine and the seasonings.
- 11Reduce heat to very low, cover the pan, and let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 12CHECK THE PAN AFTER 9 OR 10 MINUTES TO BE SURE THERE IS ENOUGH LIQUID IN THE PAN TO PREVENT BURNING.
- 13ADD MORE WINE IF NEEDED.
- 14Test the doneness of the artichokes by piercing with a fork.
- 15It should penetrate easily.
- 16Serve the artichoke halves with the rest of the melted butter in a small dish and flavored with as many dashes of hot sauce as you like.
- 17Dip the leaves and the delicious heart in the butter and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.4
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 282.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning