Recipe by Geema
This is now the only way I will be making artichokes. I love the ease of preparation and the perfect texture of the finished artichoke..not too mushy and not too hard. I never before thought of cutting the artichoke in half to make it super easy to remove the choke, and it cooks in half the time as well. Try this recipe if you love artichokes, and you won't be disappointed. Be careful to keep enough liquid in the braising pan so the artichokes don't burn. This is a tip I'm sharing out of experience!!
Top Review by Sharon123
Oooooh, these artichokes were so goood!!! I used half wine and half water to cook them in. Delicious! I have always steamed them and now I will use this method. Lots of flavor! Thanks so much for a wonderful recipe!
- 2 large globe artichokes (1 lb each)
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- your favorite hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off the stems of the artichokes.
- With a sharp knife (I find a serated knife works well) cut off the top 1/3 of the artichoke.
- Immediately rub the cuts with a lemon quarter, squeezing a little juice on the cuts to keep it from turning brown.
- Now cut each artichoke in half through the stem, from the top to the bottom.
- Use a spoon and/or a knife to completely remove the hairy choke and all the prickly purple leaves inside the artichoke.
- Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan.
- Add the garlic and saute over medium low heat to flavor the butter.
- Arrange the artichoke halves cut side down in the pan.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or so, until just lightly browned.
- Add the wine and the seasonings.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover the pan, and let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- CHECK THE PAN AFTER 9 OR 10 MINUTES TO BE SURE THERE IS ENOUGH LIQUID IN THE PAN TO PREVENT BURNING.
- ADD MORE WINE IF NEEDED.
- Test the doneness of the artichokes by piercing with a fork.
- It should penetrate easily.
- Serve the artichoke halves with the rest of the melted butter in a small dish and flavored with as many dashes of hot sauce as you like.
- Dip the leaves and the delicious heart in the butter and enjoy.