Recipe by superblondieno2
I wanted something different than the usual wheat bread, so I made this recipe with half wheat and half white flour and I am so glad I did. The best part is shaping the bread. I was scared to at first, but it actually turned out to be very simple and fun! The herbs give this bread such a tasty and unique flavor! **Also I didn't use rapid rise yeast, so I had to let the dough rise a lot longer then said here. About an hour for each time**
Top Review by Stephanie Z.
This bread was very tasty, and it made such a pretty presentation with the braid! I liked the mixture of herbs in this. It ended up a little bit drier than I prefer though. Thanks superblodieno2!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary.
- Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120° to 130°F); stir into dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece to 30-inch rope.
- Braid ropes; pinch ends to seal.
- Tie knot in center of braid; wrap ends around knot, in opposite directions, and tuck under to make round loaf.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until done, covering with foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excess browning.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional marjoram, thyme, and rosemary.
- Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.