Whole Wheat French Bread
photo by Simply Chris
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- Dissolve yeast in water, I add a pinch of sugar, and let rest about 5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
- Stir in salt, oil and half of flour.
- Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
- Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double.
- Punch down and divide into 1-4 pieces, depending on the size loaves desired.
- Roll into an oblong shape and then roll up, starting on long side; pinch to seal, forming long thin loaves.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Slash top of dough with knife 3-5 times diagonally down each loaf.
- Brush with water and let raise till double again (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Use within one day or double wrap and freeze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great! I am also going to try it with 3 cups WW to 1 cup Bread flour and see how that goes. Try it! <br/><br/>Make sure to not cook it for the full 30 minutes. Even when I made the whole amount of dough the first time, it was done in 25 minutes. I just did half the dough and it was done in 20.<br/><br/>Oh, and my kids LOVE it. They are 3 and 2.
Thank u for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I've been wanting to find a healthier version of homemade french bread & this really fit the bill. I used half whole wheat & half white as called for (also made half the recipe) & used olive oil. Mine took about 22 minutes at 375 but that was prob b/c of the loaf size. This was my 1st attempt at making my own bread (have done rolls & pizza crust) & while u have to plan ahead for rise time, I do think it's worth it! Thank u again!
see 12 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.