Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Use these as a healthy alternative to beef burgers. This recipe is adapted from Bharti Kirchner's "Vegetarian Burgers".
- 2 tablespoons pecan nuts
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- to taste vegetable oil or to taste vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 red sweet bell peppers or 1⁄2 yellow sweet bell peppers or 1⁄2 orange sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1 mild chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons potato flakes
- Toast the pecans in a dry frying pan over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until slightly browned but not burned. Grind in a blender or food processor or chop finely.
- Chop the onion and garlic. Saute in vegetable stock or until softened and golden.
- When the onions are ready, add the other vegetables and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until everything is tender, adding a little water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add the hoisin sauce, mix well and continue to cook until the sauce is thick.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a blender along with the cooked rice, and pulse a few times to blend things together, leaving some pieces of vegetables whole. Mix in the nuts and breadcrumbs.
- If the mixture does not want to hold, mix in some potato flakes, instant mashed potato or more breadcrumbs to help bind it.
- If possible, leave in the refrigerator to firm up for 30 minutes - it will keep there for a few days.
- To cook them, fry or bake.