Recipe by Vicki in CT
Terrific breakfast. From The Evolution of Cajun and Creole Cuisine by John Folse. Even better with cooked Jimmy Dean hot sausage!
Top Review by YoungEngineer
Wow! We rarely have grits in our house, but this recipe will change that. Hubby described it as "the best potato pancake ever" -- and then I informed him that it was made with grits, not potato. :) Instead of sausage, I crumbled 3 slices of cooked turkey bacon and I added some sauteed onion. Yum! I let it set up in a loaf pan in the fridge over night, then cut slices to bread (not as pretty as the circles, but it took up less fridge space). Served it with unsweetened apple sauce, which complimented the flavors perfectly.
- 1 1⁄2 cups grits
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup andouille sausage, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In one quart sauce pot bring water to rolling boil. Add butter and salt. Fold in grits and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until grits are tender stirring occasionally. (Can also use quick cooking grits but change water accordingly).
- When cooked remove from heat and stir in sausage, cheese, and pepper. Pour hot grits into sheet pan with 1 inch lip. Smooth out to 3/4" thickness. Cool overnight in refrigerator.
- The next morning use a 3" round cookie cutter to cut circles (about 8 patties).
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Prepare egg wash: Beat egg and milk together.
- Dip patties into egg wash then flour then egg wash then bread crumbs.
- Pan fry until golden.
- Serve as side dish or under poached eggs.