1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from Epicurious and they say: "This fricassee couldn't be more French, but its velvety sauce carries the flavor of vadouvan, a South Indian spice blend that has started to crop up on Parisian menus. We find it irresistible.". Time given does not include making vadouvan (make a couple of days ahead and have ready)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 whole clove
- 1 turkish bay leaf (or 1/2 California)
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 Cornish hens, quartered, reserve backbones and wing tips for stock, removed with kitchen shears
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 leeks, about 3 pounds (3 cups chopped greens reserved for stock )
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mixed spice (vadouvan)
- 2 lbs onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb shallot, halved
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh curry leaf (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2(Make ahead).
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- 4Pulse onions in 3 batches in a food processor until very coarsely chopped (there may be a few large pieces remaining), transferring to a bowl.
- 5Repeat with shallots, then garlic.
- 6Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over high heat until it shimmers, then sauté onions, shallots, and garlic (stir often) until golden and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7Grind fenugreek seeds in grinder or with mortar and pestle. Add to onion mixture along with remaining ingredients, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and stir until combined.
- 8Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined large 4-sided sheet pan and spread as thinly and evenly as possible.
- 9Bake, stirring occasionally with a skewer to separate onions, until well browned and barely moist, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- 10*COOKS NOTE: Vadouvan keeps in the refrigerator 1 month (cool before covering) or in the freezer 6 months.
- 11MAKE STOCK:
- 12Heat oil in a heavy medium pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook backbones and wing tips until well browned on all sides.
- 13Add water and bring to a boil, skimming froth occasionally. Add 3 cups reserved chopped leek greens, plus remaining ingredients and boil, uncovered, 30 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean saucepan, pressing on and then discarding solids.
- 14Boil stock until reduced to about 2 cups.
- 15MAKE FRICASSEE:
- 16Pat hens dry and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- 17Brown hens in batches (without crowding), turning once, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
- 18Halve white and pale green parts of leeks lengthwise, then cut into 1-inch pieces and wash.
- 19Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet, then cook leeks with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping up brown bits, until leeks begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 20Add wine and bring to a boil.
- 21Stir in stock, cream, and vadouvan. Nestle hens, skin sides up, into leeks. Cover with a round of parchment paper.
- 22Gently simmer 10 minutes.
- 23Remove parchment and simmer until hens are cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
- 24Transfer hens to a platter and simmer sauce to thicken slightly if desired.
- 25*COOKS NOTE: Fricassee can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Reheat gently.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fricassee of Game Hen With Creamy Leeks and Vadouvan
Serving Size: 1 (763 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.3
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 144.9 mg
- Sodium 144.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs