Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
With summer here salads just seem to be what I crave with my meals. This is a colourful salad that can be prepared ahead of time using mainly ingredients that are locally available and be ready and waiting when you get home, or take it along for as part of a picnic. Try to use fresh tarragon. It has far more flavour than dried. The tomatoes to use are those wonderful large slicing tomatoes that are available in the summer.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
Unique and flavorful salad! Made for Craze-E Contest 2009. I made it exactly as directed...except I could only find frozen French haricots verts in our market--I used the microwave to defrost/steam them and then rinsed with cold water, as directed. The very fact that it still tasted so fresh and yummy with frozen beans proves it's worthy of five stars.
- 1 lb French haricots vert, trimmed and halved
- 1⁄2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup radish, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced then halved
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the Haricots verts beans until tender crisp (about 3 min).
- Drain, run under cold water to stop cooking and drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetables and feta cheese.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together all ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve.