Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This pie is simple but so good! Use fresh red ripe strawberries only for this recipe. Plan ahead the pie needs to chill for a minimum of 3 hours before serving. You can also make this in a 9-inch glass baking dish. Prep time includes chilling time, cooking time is for the crust.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 24 ounces fresh strawberries (about 6 cups, hulled and quartered)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F (position oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- In a food processor coarsely chop the almonds, then add in the graham cracker crumbs and sugar; process until finely ground.
- Add in the melted butter and process until evenly moistened.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until set (about 10-12 minutes) cool completely before filling.
- To make the filling: place 2 cups strawberries in a medium saucepan and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
- Add in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and food colouring if using; stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils and thickens (about 3-4 minutes). transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature.
- When the mixture is cooled add in the remaining 4 cups strawberries; mix to combine.
- Mound the filling into prepared crust.
- Chill until set (about 3 hours).
- Beat the 2 cups whipping cream with sugar (any amount to taste) until soft peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe the whipped cream decoratively around the edges of the pie.
- Serve and enjoy!