Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Found this on MSN.com. It's something I want to try soon! There are directions for a pie crust, but i'm sure you could use your own favorite recipe or a premade one.
- 1 pastry for single-crust pie
- 8 cups sliced red pears (7 to 8 pears, 3 to 3-1/2 lb. total) or 8 cups green ripe pears (7 to 8 pears, 3 to 3-1/2 lb. total)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, plus additional for drizzling
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (below). Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange half of pears in prepared pastry; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cranberries. Arrange remaining pears atop cranberries. In bowl stir together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, cider, and nutmeg; drizzle evenly over pears. Cover pie with foil.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes more or until pears are tender and juices are bubbly. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine remaining cranberries and 2 tablespoons caramel topping. Bring to boiling. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Spoon over hot pie.
- Serve warm. Drizzle with additional caramel topping. Make 8 servings.
- Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie: In bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender cut in 1/2 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time (4 to 5 tablespoons total), until flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into ball. On floured surface flatten with hands. Roll dough from center to edges into a 13-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap around rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Ease pastry into plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry.
This turns out fantastic!!! My HB gave it 6 stars, which never happened before! Need me say more!? Thank you Shelby!!!