Recipe by What's Cooking?
A delicious french toast recipe designed for use with gluten-free breads. It is lactose and casein free if you use ghee, or completely dairy-free if you use a dairy-free margarine (such as "Becel Vegan"). Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit. I made this with Food For Life's Brown Rice Bread but you can use it with any store-bought or homemade GF bread. Bon appetit!
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk (plain or vanilla) or 1⁄4 cup rice milk (plain or vanilla) or 1⁄4 cup soymilk (plain or vanilla)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together all ingredients except ghee/butter/margarine and bread in a pie pan or small baking dish until thoroughly blended.
- Heat ghee, butter or margarine in non-stick pan or griddle over medium-high heat.
- If you're using a dense bread, such as those from Food for Life, Soak for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- If you're using a homemade bread or a softer or more crumbly bread, soak for only 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Using a fork or tongs, remove each slice of bread from the liquid and allow excess liquid to drip off.
- Place in hot ghee/butter/margarine and cook on each side until browned.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, jam and/or fresh fruit.