Recipe by *Pixie*
an appetizer with a bit of the flavor of french onion soup (minus the soup)
Top Review by Bergy
This is a super recipe - raved about by my guests- I made the French Toasts the day before and the onion mixture in the Am- Just before serving I smeared the onions on the toasts , added the cheese and baked them in my toaster oven. I recommend that you use sweet onions - I have used both but the sweet are just right. Thanks Pixie I have made this recipe twice already and am going for the third time now - great easy, tasty recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 slices French baguettes, 1/2 inch thick (2 to 3 inches in diameter)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (softened for spreading)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt one tablespoon butter in a nonstick frying pan over low heat.
- Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally (do not burn) until tender and a golden brown (approx 15-20 minutes).
- Stir rosemary, salt and pepper into the onions and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of french bread.
- Place the bread, butter side down, on a baking sheet.
- Divide the onion evenly over the top of the french bread, coving as most of the surface as possible.
- Top the bread as evenly as possible with the grated cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is well melted.