1/2 Photos of French Onion Toasts
an appetizer with a bit of the flavor of french onion soup (minus the soup)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 slices French baguettes, 1/2 inch thick (2 to 3 inches in diameter)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (softened for spreading)
- 1 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1Melt one tablespoon butter in a nonstick frying pan over low heat.
- 2Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally (do not burn) until tender and a golden brown (approx 15-20 minutes).
- 3Stir rosemary, salt and pepper into the onions and remove from heat.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 5Lightly butter one side of each slice of french bread.
- 6Place the bread, butter side down, on a baking sheet.
- 7Divide the onion evenly over the top of the french bread, coving as most of the surface as possible.
- 8Top the bread as evenly as possible with the grated cheese.
- 9Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is well melted.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Toasts
Serving Size: 1 (1284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.3
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 478.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 9.5 g