French Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions, all the flavors of French onion soup.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese or 3/4 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook onions, thyme, and bay leaf in butter for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, lower heat and cook until onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes, transfer to a plate, discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour for about a minute, then whisk in chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese to melt.
- Combine onions and cheese sauce with pasta and toss.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation