Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe in Cooking Enthusiast catalog, under the title of French Influenced. Very tender meat and nice thick sauce. Wonderful flavor. The recipe did call for 2 large sprigs of fresh Rosemary and I opted to use bay leaves instead as I don't care for Rosemary.
- 4 -5 lbs beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbs.oil in large dutch oven or braiser over medium high heat, add short ribs and brown as evenly as possible. Do in batches.
- Remove ribs and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and cook until tender.
- Add tomato paste, beef broth, red wine and cook, stirring, until incorporated, add ribs and bay leaves, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or until meat easily falls off the bone.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 15 minutes for fat to rise to the top, skim off any fat with a ladle. If sauce isn't thick enough remove ribs and add water/cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil, stir to thicken.
- Serve ribs over egg noodles and top with sauce.
- Garnish with scallions. (optional).
Really good, and I also like the substitution of bay leaf for rosemary. I didn't thicken the sauce, but spooned off the fat, and in hindsight that fat might make some pretty good gravy. Made for Photo Swap.
This recipe is perfect, my family really enjoyed it for Sunday Supper. The only change made to the recipe was reducing the amount of tomato paste by half; it is just a personal preference. Thanks for posting.
Delicious. Will definitely be making this again, whenever I see short ribs on sale. I followed the recipe (ingredients and method) to the letter this time. Next time, will do the slow simmer part in the crockpot.