Recipe by Bergy
The true (original) French Canadian tourtiere was made with 'Tourte' a type of pigeon, hence the name. It is very tasty. Be careful not to use too much allspice
- 500 ml ground pork
- 50 ml onions, chopped
- 3 ml salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ml allspice
- 2 ml pepper
- 50 ml boiling water
- 250 ml potatoes, mashed very fine
- 2 uncooked pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pork, onion, seasonings and the boiling water.
- Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally until the meat is cooked.
- Cool and skim off any fat.
- Stir in the potatoes.
- Line pie plate with a pie crust.
- Fill with the cooked mixture.
- Cover with second crust.
- Seal the pastry edges & cut vents.
- Bake 10 minutes at 230c then lower temp to 180c for 30 minutes or until golden.