1/1 Photo of Fettuccine With Asparagus, Lemon, Pine Nuts & Mascarpone
susie cooks's Note:
Recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more for the pan
- 2 lbs medium-thick asparagus, ends trimmed,cut in 1 inch pieces on an angle
- 8 scallions, cut in thin rounds (whites and tender greens)
- 2 finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 4 Tbs.)
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme or 3 -5 sprigs fresh savory, leaves chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup grated grana padano or 1 cup parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 cup homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 lb fresh fettuccine or 1 lb dry fettuccine
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1Heat the oven to 400F or 450°F (Note the slightly higher oven temperature when baking fresh egg pasta.) Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with olive oil.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 3Add the asparagus and blanch until tender but with a slight bite left to it, about 2 minute Scoop it from the water with a large slotted spoon, set it in a colander, and run it under cold water to preserve its green color.
- 4Drain well.
- 5Keep the water boiling for the pasta.
- 6In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 7Add the scallions; sauté 1 minute to soften.
- 8Add the asparagus and sauté briefly, about 1 minute Take the skillet off the heat and add half the zest, the lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix well and reserve.
- 9In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and flour over medium heat, whisking until smooth.
- 10Cook for 1 min.
- 11,whisking constantly, to cook away the raw taste of the flour.
- 12Add the milk and cook, whisking all the while, until it comes to a boil.
- 13Lower the heat a bit and cook until smooth and lightly thickened (about the consistency of heavy cream), 3 or 4 minute.
- 14Turn off the heat and add the mascarpone, the remaining lemon zest, and 1/2 cup of the grana padano, whisking until the mixture is fairly smooth (there will be a slight grainy texture from the cheese).
- 15Season with the cayenne, allspice, and more salt and pepper.
- 16In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and the remaining grana padano.
- 17Season with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- 18Mix well.
- 19Return the cooking water to a full boil and cook the fettuccine, leaving it slightly underdone.
- 20Drain well.
- 21Return the fettuccine to the cooking pot.
- 22Add the mascarpone sauce, the pine nuts, and the asparagus with all its juices.
- 23Toss and taste for seasoning.
- 24Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top.
- 25Bake uncovered until bubbling and golden, 15 to 20 minute Serve right away.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fettuccine With Asparagus, Lemon, Pine Nuts & Mascarpone
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.0
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 241.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of