Recipe by breezermom
Wonderful quiche, especially if you love feta.
Top Review by Dantana
Awesome! We had to go to our natural food store to find blanched almonds, but this was worth it! The flavors are just what you would expect in this mouth-watering dish.. If it sounds good to you it will be good! This one delivers on what you want!
- 1 1⁄4 cups matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped (decrease if they smell strong!)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half and half cream (may use fat free)
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (may use low fat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine matzo meal and sugar; cut in margarine or butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1 lightly beaten egg; stir well to combine. Stir in the almonds. Firmly press the mixture on the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch deep-dish pieplate. (I spray mine with oil, because everything tends to stick for me!) Prick the bottom and sides of the pastry with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes. Set aside, and let it cook completely.
- Cook spinach in a small amount of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes; drain. Press the spinach between paper towels to remove the excess moisture. Set aside.
- Saute onion in oil in a medium skillet until tender. Combine the onion, reserved spinach, and Swiss cheese. Set aside.
- Combine the half-and-half and next 5 ingredients in container of an electric blender (I use a handheld blender), and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the prepared crust; top with feta cheese. Pour the half-and-half mixture over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until set. (Shield with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning if necessary). Let stand 5 minutes before serving.