1/1 Photo of Faux-Fresh Tomato Soup
Julie B's Hive's Note:
From the Sunset Low-Fat Cookbook, recipe is based on canned tomato purée. Top off with Herbed Cheese Croutons (recipe included). The deglazing (3 times) makes this one a bit time-consuming but gives the soup its good flavor. I prefer using the dried basil over the fresh in this recipe and a little chunkier than the usual smooth tomato soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) French baguettes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons dry basil or 1/3 cup cups chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1PREPARE CROUTONS AND SET ASIDE:.
- 2Slice 1 small French bread baguette (8 oz) crosswise into 1/4-in slices. Sprinkle slices with grated cheese then sprinkle lightly with dry basil and coarse salt. Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 300° oven until toasted and golden brown (about 20 minutes). Serve croutons warm or at room temperature.
- 3MAKE SOUP:.
- 4In a 3-4 quart pan, combine oil, onion, carrot, and 1 cup of the the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and vegetables begin to brown (about 10 minutes). To deglaze, add 3 tbsp water and stir to scrape browned bit free. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to brown again. Repeat deglazing and browning steps 2 more times, using 3 tbsp water each time; vegetable mixture should be golden brown.
- 5Add remaining 4 cups chicken broth. Stir to scrape browned bits free. Stir in tomato purée, basil, sugar, and white pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are very tender to bite (about 20 min).
- 6Whirl mixture, a portion at a time, in a food processor or blender until smoothly puréed. Return to pan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 7To serve, ladle into bowls and top each serving with 2 croutons. Pass remaining croutons.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Faux-Fresh Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.8
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.2 mg
- Sodium 610.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 16.7 g