Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Sunset Low-Fat Cookbook, recipe is based on canned tomato purée. Top off with Herbed Cheese Croutons (recipe included). The deglazing (3 times) makes this one a bit time-consuming but gives the soup its good flavor. I prefer using the dried basil over the fresh in this recipe and a little chunkier than the usual smooth tomato soup.
- 1 (8 ounce) French baguettes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons dry basil or 1⁄3 cup cups chopped fresh basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- PREPARE CROUTONS AND SET ASIDE:.
- Slice 1 small French bread baguette (8 oz) crosswise into 1/4-in slices. Sprinkle slices with grated cheese then sprinkle lightly with dry basil and coarse salt. Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 300° oven until toasted and golden brown (about 20 minutes). Serve croutons warm or at room temperature.
- MAKE SOUP:.
- In a 3-4 quart pan, combine oil, onion, carrot, and 1 cup of the the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and vegetables begin to brown (about 10 minutes). To deglaze, add 3 tbsp water and stir to scrape browned bit free. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to brown again. Repeat deglazing and browning steps 2 more times, using 3 tbsp water each time; vegetable mixture should be golden brown.
- Add remaining 4 cups chicken broth. Stir to scrape browned bits free. Stir in tomato purée, basil, sugar, and white pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are very tender to bite (about 20 min).
- Whirl mixture, a portion at a time, in a food processor or blender until smoothly puréed. Return to pan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top each serving with 2 croutons. Pass remaining croutons.
Yeap, this is how I like my tomato soup! Thi was a lovely supper w/grilled cheese sandwiches. I used my immersion blender. Delicious! made for Aussie Swap 12/09. Thank you!