Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
We like to double the amount of glaze and use extra in the meatloaf, I love meatloaf, and collect these recipes. We have made this with many variations and hope that you will like it too. This was loosely based on a recipe found in Country Living.
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 -6 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onions (sauteed, we prefer them this way) or 1⁄4 cup raw onion
- 2 1⁄4 cups fresh bread, torn into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped onions (sauteed, we prefer them this way) or 1 cup raw onion
- 3⁄4 cup sauteed chopped white mushroom (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (sauteed, we prefer red or yellow but green is ok too)
- 2⁄3 cup sauteed minced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 slices bacon or 6 slices sliced pancetta
- MAKE THE KETCHUP GLAZE:.
- Combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce in a medium bowl and stir until combined.
- Set aside.
- SAUTÉED VEGETABLES:.
- Sauté vegetables in a non-stick pan sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray, for about 8 to 10 minutes, to take out the bite.
- MAKE MEATLOAF:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the bread and the milk in a small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.
- Combine onion, celery, garlic, mushrooms(if using), bell peppers, parsley, mustard, thyme, eggs, salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes(if using) in a large bowl.
- Add the bread, meat and 1/3 cup of the ketchup glaze and toss gently with your hands.
- Be careful not to over mix, it should be soft but hold its shape.
- BAKING THE MEATLOAF:.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan, form into a 16- by 5-inch loaf and coat with 1/3 cup of the ketchup glaze.
- Combine the onion rings with 2 tablespoons of ketchup glaze in a small bowl.
- Spread the coated onions over the top of the meatloaf.
- Place the thyme sprigs over the onions and twist the bacon or pancetta slices in diagonals over the thyme.
- Place on center rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake for approximately 50 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with remaining ketchup glaze, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, gratinee of spinach with warm herbed biscuits.