Recipe by Nelly
Perfect to go with summer fruits, especially stewed rhubarb. Lovely delicate flavour. Very old recipe.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fine sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 pint creamy milk
- 2 drops vanilla essence (the real thing)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the egg-yolk and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Bring the milk slowly to the boil in a non-stick pan.
- Pour on to the egg mixture, stirring steadily.
- Mix well.
- Pour the custard back into the pan and stir over a gentle heat until the mixture thickens till it will coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- NOTE: For an extra-rich custard, stir in 2 tablespoons heavy cream with the vanilla.