Recipe by Chef Kate
This recipe is from chef Nora Pouillon, owner of Nora's in Washington, DC, a "certified" organic restaurant and a quite wonderful place to dine. Vegetable stock may be substituted for the chicken broth.
Top Review by luvcook'n
Absolutely awesome! The flavours are so warm and comforting. I made as directed except I left the baby spinach whole. This will be enjoyed many more times. Thank you Chef Kate for sharing this really yummy recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade and salt-free
- 3 -4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup basmati rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb spinach (well washed, large stems removed)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion until soft.
- Add the turmeric and cook a further minute to let the spice warm through.
- Add the stock, scallions, rice, salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for approximately 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Do not overcook.
- Cut the spinach into chiffonade, add to pan and cook for another five minutes.
- To serve hot: Beat yogurt and garlic into the soup, and reheat gently so the yogurt does not curdle.
- To serve cold: Allow soup to cool, add yogurt and garlic and puree.
- NOTE: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder can be substituted for the turmeric, depending on how fragrant you want your soup to be.