Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very moist and chocolaty muffin that is very simple to make, that's perfect for people with an allergy to eggs, or an allergy to milk.
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175 01456C), grease 12 muffin cup tins or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
- Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until full. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
These were great! I'm always on the lookout for eggless, milkless (although I can sub soy milk) recipes due to my son's allergies. It's sometimes hard to get the right texture omitting eggs. There was nothing wrong with the texture or taste! However, I think they're more a cupcake than a muffin - lots of sugar and oil. Just add frosting! I would prefer something a little healthier if I'm going to give it to my kids for breakfast.
We made these muffins tonight as an experiment as we were wondering what eggless, and milkless muffins could be like. I must confess that they were moist and fluffy, just like regular muffins, however the taste was a little odd. I am not sure whether this is because of the ingredients omitted but it certainly doesn't taste bad! We are thinking about eating it with a citrus-y topping like sharp marmalade or something to add to it. Great alternative for people who can't eat eggs or milk though!