Recipe by kim-phil
You can make terrific bread in six steps!! It is really easy to make. This bread has been a hit with our family for many years. I adapted it from a recipe on a package of Winn Easybake Yeast and Bread Improver. The recipe makes 2 680g (1 1/2 lb loaves). Use your imagination when baking the bread. Use smaller loaf tins to make different sizes of loaves. Make rolls, etc.
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon bread improver (optional)
- 1 kg bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 600 ml warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend dry ingredients, rub in shortening. Add warm water (40°C, 105°F), mix until smooth.
- Cover with moist cloth, stand in warm place 30 - 40 minutes.
- Knock down, knead lightly. Cut to size required, cover with moist cloth, stand for 10 minutes.
- Knead well, mould to the required shape. Place in greased tin or on greased tray.
- Cover wtih a damp cloth and let the bread rise in a draft-free place until 2 - 3 times its original size. Brush lightly with milk, beated egg or shortening.
- Bake in oven (230°C, 450°F) until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- NORMAL BAKING TIMES: White bread 25-30 minutes.
- Usually, at 25 minutes, I take the bread out of the tins and return the bread to the oven for a further 5 minutes This browns the bread nicely, all over.