Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is just a simple recipe that came from my mom's mom. Its not the most authentic, but it is easy, quick, and good. I always have the ingredients on hand.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 2 cups instant rice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- Melt Butter in sauce pan.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add rice and stir to coat with butter. Cook until rice turns golden brown and smells slightly nutty,.
- Add tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and turn off heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
This is a great base recipe for a very easy spanish style rice! Super fast and easily adaptable based on the ingredients you have on hand and your taste. I followed your recipe with the following exceptions...added a few shakes of cayenne, ~2 TBS of cumin, ~1 TBS tumeric instead of mustard, 1/2 can diced tomatos instead of tomato sauce, a handful of chopped cilantro, and the juice of 1/4 of a lime. I also used leftover cooked white rice instead of instant. Thanks! It all came together in less than 10 minutes!
Very easy and tasty rice! I don't care for onion so left it out, othewise made as specified. This rice came out very firm, not gummy at all. I'll probably add some minced garlic next time. thanks for posting this great recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2009