Recipe by pamela t.
This one's from my Grandma. It was spoon fed to us in our high chairs. Easy for babies and toddlers to eat. Sticks to the bone and comfort food. It is also inexpensive and requires only a few ingredients you probably have on hand. You may use this with leftover chicken or turkey.
Top Review by Troop Angel
We liked this!! It was so easy to make! We used just chicken breasts and a few slices less bread, and I wish I would have thought to use less water....whoops! It was still good, though and we really enjoyed it! Made for your Week 11 Football Pool win....congrats!!!
- 1 roasting chicken, for easy dish (buy a roasted chicken from the supermarket)
- 14 slices whole wheat bread or 14 slices white bread, toasted
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (we like a lot of pepper on ours)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the prepared meat from the bone, shred into bite sized pieces.
- Toast the bread and break into bite sized pieces.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in an oblong casserole.
- Put one layer bread pieces, one layer chicken pieces.
- Build up three layers.
- Pour chicken broth over casserole,.
- Add water.
- Melt butter in microwave for 8 seconds.
- Pour over casserole.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350°F 35-40 minutes until golden brown and liquid is absorbed.