Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad features refreshing and fresh ingredients served in a romaine leaf. You can add any veggies you like. This recipe won second place in the Raiders of the Lost Pantry Contest, June 2013.
- romaine lettuce
- 170.09 g tuna in water, drained
- 59.14 ml dill pickle, diced
- 59.14 ml frozen green pea, defrosted
- 29.58 ml celery, finely diced
- 29.58 ml scallions, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml honey
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together except for peas.
- Add peas last, careful not to smash them. Place 1-2 T mixture in the middle of each romaine leaf.
- Grate lime zest over the top, if desired.
Yummy! I read the other reviews about it being a bit wet and cut back on the honey, lime juice and mayo with great results. We enjoyed this for a nice lunch. Thanks westtextazzy for sharing. Made for Football Week 4 2013. Congrats again on another win!
I think the liquid-y consistency of this tuna may be due to the fact that what used to be 6 ounce cans are now 5 ounces. That being said, I did use a little less mayo, honey and lime juice than called for and it was much less liquid-y. I only had cut up lettuce and I added some cut up pear tomatoes. I subbed cut up green olives for the celery b/c my DH thinks celery is too crunchy! We liked this a lot! Thanks!
I have to agree with the other reviewers that this tuna salad was just a bit too drippy for comfort, and my kids did have a couple of accidents while eating it. On the plus side, it is extremely tasty and a good use of contest ingredients. Good luck, chef.