Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm so excited about this recipe. It's the perfect combination - easy, healthy, AND delicious! And it makes plenty of leftovers for lunches or to freeze for later.
- 1 large white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups stock
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can hominy or 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 sliced avocado (optional)
- 1 lime (optional)
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Cook and shred 1 lb chicken. There are many ways to do this. I boiled chicken breasts until the internal temperature reached 160, then took two forks and shredded the breasts by hand.
- Chop onions, chop peppers, chop cilantro, and mince garlic.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft, add peppers halfway through.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, tomatoes, and chicken broth/stock. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, hominy, black beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, and optional toppings such as avocado, limes, shredded monterey jack cheese, or chopped green onions.