Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup
photo by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- corn tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken (about)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
- Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
- Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.
- Top with the diced avocado and crushed tortilla and cheese if using.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My husband and I REALLY enjoyed this. I have to admit I was skeptical because there are so few seasonings. To my surprise, it was spectacular! I added a 14oz. can of diced tomatoes, then added rotisserie chicken to the soup and allowed it to simmer along with the broth. I used all the suggested toppings. IMO the avocado, cilantro and lime are a must! I used pepper jack cheese w/ jalapenos, no salt & pepper. Just divine! Thanks Luvsfood!
There's a Mexican restaurant in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that made delicious tortilla soup - this is pretty darn close! I served it over fresh avocado and topped with shredded cheese. I also like to serve it with a side of tortilla chips that you can either soak in the soup or eat separately. YUM! It was absolutely delicious and even better the second day. Thanks for a great recipe!