Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 20mins
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded (about 10 large leaves)
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes (there should be about 3 cups of juice).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer on foil.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped onion.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until slightly brown and tomatoes appear dry.
- Dice tomatoes, careful of the hot juice!
- In a crock pot or large pot, combine roasted tomato mixture, reserved juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, garlic, and allspice.
- If using a pot, simmer for 4-6 hours over low heat.
- In a crock pot, cook for 8 hours on low.
- Add basil, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper,.
- Turn heat on crock pot up to high or continue to simmer in pot for additional 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Join The Conversation
Delicious!! We loved this thick and hearty soup. I made this in my 4-qt. crockpot, cooking it on "high" for 2 hours and "low" for 4 hours. I needed to stretch the soup to serve more people, so I used 8 oz. of evaporated milk instead of 5 oz. Also, I added a little sugar to cut the tartness/ acidity of the tomatoes. My family devoured this and wanted to know when I was going to make it again. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for 2009 Football Pool*