Rustic Style Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 quart vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2.Toss together the tomatoes, ¼ cup olive oil, salt and pepper.
- 3.Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- 4.In a 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 Tbs olive oil, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes or until the onions start to brown.
- 5.Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and stock.
- 6.Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- 7.Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- 8.Taste for seasonings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This soup is terrific. Made a few substitutions: less sugar, some Better than Bouillon rather than veggie/chicken stock, and pureed with an immersion blender. Watch out -- the soup does have a kick, but you can certainly control for that by watching the amount of pepper. Plenty of leftovers to serve as a first course for dinner guests tonight. Enjoy!