Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you make your own bread, then you will love this easy, versatile recipe. Cook time is for baking the bread and adding the liquids. The bread can be made in 1 hr flat from first ingredients to finish baking. You can also adjust spices and make croutons for salads too! You can vary the size of the cubes, etc.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 bouillon cube
- 1 -4 tablespoon margarine
- Heat water between 105-115°F.
- I use water out of the tap, and let it run until I just can't keep my hand under any longer!
- Dissolve yeast in water in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar, oil and salt.
- Stir in 2 cups flour until smooth.
- Cover with a dish cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 15 min or until double in size.
- Stir down and add spices; stir.
- Add 2 1/2 cups flour, and stir to combine.
- Place 1/2 cup flour on your clean dry kneading surface.
- Turn dough onto surface and knead until most of the flour is worked in, or to a nice smooth consistency, 3-8 minutes.
- Cut in half and form into 2 loaves.
- Place in loaf pans sprayed with oil.
- Allow to rise, covered, for 20 min or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 425°F, or until it is lightly browned and sounds hollow when tapped on top.
- Take out of pans immediately and allow to cool.
- When cool, cut into slices, and cubes.
- Put on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 300°F for 1 hr or until lightly browned.
- Stir occasionally.
- Store in airtight container until you are ready to use.
- To make stuffing: 4 cups croutons to 1 cup water, 1-2 bouillon cubes, and 1-4 T margarine.
- This recipe makes 12 cups croutons, or there about, so if you are making the whole recipe, triple the liquids.
- You may add extra water if it isn't moist enough.