1/1 Photo of Easy Goulash
D. Todd Miller's Note:
This is not the traditional Hungarian recipe by any stretch of the imagination. My mother "threw this together" back in the late 1960s and named it goulash, when she was a young bride and money was very tight. I took her "recipe" and altered it to my own taste, mainly by adding spices. The last time I prepared this dish I made measurements, so I could share this tasty concoction with you. I serve this with a side green salad, garlic toast, and plenty of grated parmesan cheese on top. Note: Without the noodles, this recipe makes a great stir-in to your favorite canned spaghetti sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped very fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika (sweet, not smoked or hot)
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (more or less, depending on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar, but whatever you have on hand is fine)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
- 8 ounces egg noodles (or elbow macaroni)
- 1Place ground beef and onion into large pan and season with spices, herbs, salt, and pepper. Cook until beef is done but not browned. (If the beef is very lean, you may need a bit of oil to get things started).
- 2Add brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and mustard to the cooked beef mixture. Stir until all is very well blended. Reduce heat to simmer.
- 3While beef mixture is simmering, prepare the noodles or macaroni according to package instructions.
- 4When noodles are done, drain them and add them to the pan with the beef mixture. Mix everything very well and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.2
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 124.9 mg
- Sodium 445.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 30.0 g