Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love outback french onion soup. I haven't found a recipe that a perfect match so I keep playing with them. I found this one to be very delicious and pretty simple to make.
- 1 large sweet onion (honey sweet or vidalia)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder (if you like a stronger onion flavor)
- salt & pepper
- toasted bread round (I like holland rusk or french baguettes)
- gruyere cheese
- parmesan cheese
- Chop onions to the desired thickness (the finer the chop the less cooking time).
- Heat oil and add onions and sugar. Cook about medium heat till caramelized, don't burn.
- Add broth, bullion, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Simmer low for 10-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated cheeses on top of toast rounds and brown.
- Serve soup in individual crocks or I use coffee cups, top with the toast rounds.
Delicious & easy! I added 1 t thyme, a splash of red wine, and an extra onion. Gooey cheese on crisp french bread rounds made a satisfying meal. Thank you for sharing the recipe!