Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cooking time is mainly for the rice.
Make and share this Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced (any color is fine)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon scallion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Cook rice according to package. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in oil until onion is translucent.
- Add egg to vegetables and scramble until almost cooked.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add rice to vegetable/egg mixture and stir-fry until heated through, approximately 10-15 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with scallions. Toasted sesame seeds are nice, too. Enjoy!
This was very yummy, however only got about 3 serves from it. Added some chicken since I had some needing to be used along with some broccoli also needing to be used. Directions easy to follow and cooking the rice in the stock yielded a nice flavour. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't realize that 'forbidden rice' is not a brand but actually refers to black rice, until too late. So I made it with white long grain which worked really well. I reduced the rice by 1/2 and kept the remaining ingredients except oil the same. If you make the full recipe I would recommend that you double onion, garlic etc because otherwise there will too little vegetables. The serving size is on the smaller side so keep this in mind if you make for 6 people. Made for PAC Fall 2009