1/2 Photos of Easy Chicken Pot Pie (Without All the Cream)
This delicious comfort food made easy and somewhat healthy (if it weren’t for the pastry shells) can be prepared ahead of time and even frozen! Simply freeze portions of the filling in little Tupperware containers and keep a package of the pastry shells on hand. You can also use leftover turkey or chicken for this recipie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup white pearl onion (chopped, buy them frozen, it's so much easier)
- 1/2 cup baby carrots (sliced into pieces)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped into slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground (or more to taste)
- 2 -3 chicken breasts (poached in salt water ripped or cubed)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 -2 cup chicken broth (organic is preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (this may vary depending on how salty your broth is, taste before you add any)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (curly is great, but flat leaf will work too)
- 4 pepperidge farms puff pastry shells
- 1Place 1-2 pastry shells on foil lined cookie sheet for each person who will be dining and cook according to the package directions. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- 2Place all the veggies into another sauce pot filled with boiling, salted water. Cook until carrots are tender (usually 5-8 minutes) and pierced easily with a fork. Drain veggies and set aside.
- 3In a sauce pot melt two tablespoons butter over medium heat and add 2 ½ tablespoons flour. Combine flour and butter and allow to bubble and cook (do not let it brown). Add chicken broth a little at a time and whisk to combine. Combination will thicken quickly so be sure to add more broth as needed to create a sauce that coats the back of a spoon.
- 4Lower heat to Low and add in freshly chopped parsley, grind in black pepper and salt to taste. Depending on the chicken broth you use, you may not need to add salt so be sure to taste the sauce before seasoning.
- 5Add the veggies and chicken to the sauce.
- 6To plate, grab pastry shells, pop out the center with a fork and spoon in the pot pie filling. Sprinkle with any remaining fresh parsley and -- enjoy.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken Pot Pie (Without All the Cream)
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.0
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 592.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 20.9 g