Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy to put together just mix all ingredients then bake, it's a great recipe to use leftover chicken or even turkey, you can either top the casserole with crushed cornflakes or sprinkle shredded cheese on the last 5 minutes of baking. Prep time does not include cooking the rice of chicken.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned mushrooms, drained
- 2 small celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- shredded cheddar cheese (or use crushed cornflakes)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl stir all ingredients together (except the shredded cheese or cornflake crumbs) mix well to combine, then season with salt and black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper (if using).
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese then cornflake crumbs.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly (if topping with shredded cheese, add on the last 5 minutes of baking).
Super easy and good tasting recipe. Even my hubby liked it, he is not a fan of chicken. I added about a cup of carrots and broccoli to it. I only had Romano cheese in the house and used wild rice. Turned out great!
Kittencal, your flavor combinations are really good in your recipes! I think one of the secrets is the little bit of fresh parmesan added to most recipes-and for that technique I will be eternally grateful. This was outstanding in ease of preparation and taste. I don't like canned mushrooms, so I left them out-other than that, I followed exact directions. Next time I might add fresh sauteed mushrooms, but it was still great without them.
This was tasty and a great comfort food casserole. I had to omit a few ingredients due to what I had on had; water chestnuts and celery (I missed all the crunch) and had to sub an italian white cheese blend for the parmesan (missed the wonderful tang of parm). All that said, this was still very good and would have been amazing with the missing ingredients.