Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty beef dish that's also easy to make, this has been a favorite of my family's for years, the complete recipe is made in a skillet and may be doubled if desired
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast, cut into cubes (I use sirloin steak for this, but you can use any cut desired)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons HP steak sauce (optional, but good to use)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to heat level)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, brown the beef cubes in hot oil over medium heat; drain fat.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Stir into simmering sauce, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
This was delicious! It is a perfect recipe for the crock pot. I used round steak, browned my meat and put it in the crock pot with the other ingredients. I added in celery, red bell pepper and mushrooms to the vegetables and used a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I used 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and I used A-1 steak sauce(I don't know what HP steak sauce is). I added Emeril's Essence, 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning , a pinch of sugar and some fresh minced parsley. I cooked it on high for 1 hour and then on low for 4-5 more hours. I thickened it up with the cornstarch at the end and it was perfect. I served it over white rice and garnished it with more parsley and some green onions. It wasn't too spicy for my 6 yr. old son and my husband and I added some Tabasco to it at the table. We all enjoyed it and it was a change from the Chinese-style pepper steak I always make. I will make this again, in my crock-pot. I can't believe this delicious recipe hadn't been reviewed yet.It's easy too! Thank you for posting!