Spicy Pepper Steak
photo by J e l i s a
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean beef, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonal strips
- 1 -2 green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons korean red pepper flakes (do not sub)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Combine ingredients in frying pan (no oil required).
- Cook over medium heat, keep covered.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Cook until veggies are tender.
- Note: If you prefer your green peppers to be crispier than the carrots, add them in a little later.
- Serve over rice (also makes a great fajita).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm korean so I loved the heat! It was so simple and seemed so healthy b/c it cooks so well w/o the oil. Great thing about this dish is that you can change the spiciness or even the meat and the dish still tastes great! :) I personally love tender meat, so the thinner you cut the meat the better, I thought. Tastes very similar to a traditional korean spicy pork bulgogi dish.
This is just way to spicy for us... and we love our food with heat! I think maybe halving the red pepper flakes would make it a bit more palatable... It has a lovely presentation and smells wonderful while cooking, I just wish we could have tasted something other than "hot!" We will try this one again, just with fewer pepper flakes... Thanks!
see 10 more reviews
MMMM, Jelisa, this is an awesome and easy meal! It had the perfect balance of heat and sweet flavors from the carrots and sugar. I kept looking at the recipe thinking, "really? just toss it all in there together and cook with no oil?" but I decided to trust you, LOL. Good thing I did -- because this was yummy. I used Stevia instead of sugar, but did not make any other changes.