Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Using Puff Pastry makes these easy and delicious!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 extra-large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1 (2 sheet) box frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Add cream cheese & sugar in the bowl of electric mixer
- Cream together on low until smooth.
- With the mixer still on low, add egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest and mix until just combined. DO NOT WHIP.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured board &roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it's a 10 by 10-inch square.
- Cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife. Put 1 heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares.
- Brush the border of each pastry with egg wash and fold 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together.
- Brush the top of the pastries with egg wash. Place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan.
- Repeat with remaining puff pastry and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, turning pan once during baking, until puffed and brown. Serve warm.
These didn't turn out the prettiest, but they are very tasty!! Made as written and they came out flake and golden. Made for Cookbook Tag.
Boy , this really beat going out for donuts this morning. Made no adjustments here, I at first thought there would be too much sugar, but I was proven wrong. Good taste, and made for a great breakfast. Made for PRMR tag