Recipe by P4
I love clotted cream from England, but it's hard to get here in the US. I found this recipe in a book from the Stars Restaurant, and it comes as close as anything I've tried to real clotted cream. This is a great (IMO, essential) spread for scones and muffins.
Top Review by Mizzle
I've never had real clotted cream, so I don't feel qualified to give five stars... but this was easy to make, tasted great on scones #43098 (and probably would on others too :P) and held it shape for days. I think I rewhipped it once, after almost a week. (I decided the experation date should be the first of the experation dates of the ingredients, so a keeping it for a week was quite safe.)
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the ingredients in a stainless steel bowl and whisk until the cream holds its shape.
- Refrigerate the cream until ready to use.
- Double cream should be used within an hour after it is made.
- If you wait longer, you will need to re-whip it slightly.