- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 egg whites (room temp when beaten)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine corn syrup, water, salt and sugar.
- Cook to 234°F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and pour 1/2 the syrup into them slowly, beating as you pour.
- Cook the remaining syrup to 280°F then add it to the white mixture the same way as before.
- Add vanilla and nuts.
- Continue beating until mixture is thick enough to hold its shape when dropped by a spoon.
- Pour into a buttered 9x9-inch pan.
- Cool and cut into squares.