Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe handed down thru the generations. Because it's an old recipe, ingredients are not exact... Grandma worked with a pinch of this and a bit of that...Serving sizes are approximate.
- Fill a medium sized casserole three - quarters full of peeled, cored, and sliced apples.
- Add the lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter, and nuts.
- Blend until mixture looks crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of the apples. Do not stir.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about forty- five minutes.
- Turn oven to 450 degrees and allow it to brown quickly.
- It can be served hot or cold.
- If you like, you may pour cream on top.
I cut this recipe in half for the 3 of us, but otherwise made as directed (using the brown sugar option). I think I'll just need to play around a bit with the amounts, as you warn in the intro, before I have the perfect result. This time it was a bit too dry on top; maybe a little extra butter would have done the trick. It still tasted very good & I have no doubt we'll make it again. :) Thanks for sharing your family recipe, Connie!