Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Perfect party food! --- this is one of my all time favorite nacho recipes that I have made many times in the past, and I guarantee you will love this! --- all amounts may be adjusted to taste and double the recipe if desired but keep the garlic no more than 2 tablespoons, if you really want to go all out add in a can of drained black beans to the ground beef mixture! 1/2 pound Italian sausages with casings removed can be mixed with the ground beef if desired, to turn up the heat use a package of taco seasoning mix or spicy salsa and add in cayenne or dried chili flakes --- for the best flavor make certain to brown the meat well :)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (or can use 1 package mild or spicy taco seasoning mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups refried beans (can use more)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- tortilla chips (use any amount desired)
- 1 cup sour cream (can use more)
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped (can use more)
- 2 large firm plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- sliced black olives
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, green bell pepper and chili powder; cook stirring until meat is no longer pink; drain all fat well, continue to cook until the meat is well browned (the beef must be well browned!).
- Add in refried beans, salsa; cook stirring until heated through.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese; stir until melted.
- Place the tortilla chips on a large serving platter.
- Top with ground beef mixture, then sprinkle the top of the HOT ground beef mixture with about 1-1/2 cups (or to taste) grated cheddar cheese.
- Top with sour cream, green onions, chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives.
- Serve hot or warm.
Rarely do you make a recipe and say, "That was absolutely awesome".....this is it....I have used ground burger and turkey with excellent results....
Awesome! Made using ground elk, left out the bell pepper and used the taco mix. Served it with homemade cheese sauce from Rachel Ray- 1 T. melted butter, 1 T. flour, 1 c. skim milk, handful (approx. 1/2 c.) shredded cheddar. Sauce amount meant for 2-4 people. Thanks for posting, I will definately make again & am very glad we have leftovers!
Great recipe!!! Although I made a few minor changes that made them even more awesome...I add the chili powder as written, but I also added about 2-3 tablespoons of tex-mex seasoning, 1/4 tsp of cayenne powder and 1 tablespoon of cumin to the meat mixture....They were so great!!!