Recipe by evelyn/athens
Summer fruit pies are the best!
Top Review by the_chic_chef
The recipe's flexibility is a testament to it's genius. I had just picked two cups of wild black raspberries and was looking to use them in something immediately. I'm always short on ingredients, but happened to have a can of cherry pie filling on hand, so I cut the sugar in half, substituted pineapple juice for the lemon, and used whole wheat flour and all butter for the crust. It was divine, and I had just enough filling for one deep-dish double-crust pie. The ratio of acidic to sweet flavors in this is brilliant -- will be using this as a staple recipe for years to come. Thanks!!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled Crisco, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 2 lbs dark sweet cherries, pitted or 2 1⁄2 lbs pitted frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- 3 (1/2 pint) packages fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- premium vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Blend flour and salt in processor.
- Using on/off turns, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With machine running, add water, 1 tblsp at a time, until dough just begins to clump together.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into rectangle.
- Wrap in plastic; chill atleast 30 minutes.
- For filling: Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 400F.
- Mix first 7 ingredients in 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 14 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Transfer dough to top of fruit.
- Fold edges under.
- Using fork, crimp edges decoratively.
- Bake pie 15 minutes.
- Brush crust with egg glaze and sprinkle with 2 tsps sugar.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake pie until crust is golden and filling bubbles, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on rack 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.