Apple Crumb Deep Dish Pie
photo by Chef Jean
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 large pastry pie crust (to fit bottom of a 9 or 10-inch deep dish pie plate)
- 7 -8 large baking apples (Granny Smith is best!)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- Line the bottom of a deep dish pie plate with pastry, flute edges.
- Peel and slice apples thinly and place in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the sliced apples; toss to coat with the juice.
- Then mix in the 3 tablespoons sour cream, mix well; set aside.
- Prepare the crumb topping.
- To make the crumb topping: in a small bowl mix the flour and sugar together; cut in the cold butter until crumbly.
- In another small bowl, mix the 1-1/2 tablespoon flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the flour mixture over the apples; toss well to coat.
- Spoon the apple mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Drizzle with the 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Place the pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet (too catch any spills).
- Bake on the lowest oven rack position at 375 degrees for approximately 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbly and apples feel soft.
- **Note** if you find that the topping is browning too much, cover lightly with foil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm normally a huge Kitten fan but I gotta say this one didn't do it for our family. It just needs more- more sugar, more cinnamon, more nutmeg...maybe some brown sugar in the crumb topping. We thought it was far to tart and a little on the bland side as far as the spices go. I used Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust for the first time (for the bottom crust) and I think it is definitely a keeper!
just popped this one in, while making a few changes. I tend to do this as I cook....must be OCD or something. Anyway, I used brown sugar in the apple mix, along with melted butter and some flour. I did not use a bottom crust, too lazy I guess. The crumb mixture got changed up as well....added brown sugar, melted butter, and some sugared walnuts I had toasted(over toasted I should say) and ground those up real fine and added to the crumb mixture. Will let you know how this worked out. The other reviews and suggestions looked great as well. Here's hoping!
see 3 more reviews