Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 45 mins
decadent pie from food and wine magazine
Make and share this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- MAKE THE DOUGH: In a food processor, combine the 2 cups of flour with the sugar and salt; process to mix. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and process until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas. With the machine on, slowly pour in the ice water and process just until it's incorporated. Transfer the dough to a bowl and knead a few times. Pat the dough into a 1-inch-thick disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate the dough until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Let the dough soften slightly. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a round, about 1/8 inch thick. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and unroll it over a 9-inch glass pie plate. Press the dough into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch it. Using scissors, trim the overhang to 1 1/2 inches. Fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate the pie shell until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Prick the chilled pie shell all over with the tines of a fork. Line the shell with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Fold the foil over the weights so the side of the pie shell is exposed. Bake the shell for 25 minutes, or until the side and rim are golden. Carefully remove the foil and continue baking the shell until the bottom is beginning to brown, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, stirring once. Transfer the pecans to a plate. In a small microwave-safe glass bowl, melt the butter with the chocolate in a microwave oven. Stir until blended and smooth. Scrape the chocolate mixture into a medium bowl and add the brown sugar. Stir in the eggs, corn syrup, vanilla and kosher salt, then stir in the pecans.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set in the center. Let the pie cool completely.